iMMAP is an international nongovernmental organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
The GIS specialist will provide information management support to RC Office in Malawi and the Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DoDMA,) the clusters, and NGOs with regard to data collection, data cleaning and analysis, geodatabases management, GIS, cartography and spatial analysis. He/she will be hosted at DoDMA office in Lilongwe; iMMAP will be responsible for the management of the candidate.
The following deliveries are expected from the position:
- Contribute to the design and implementation of Data collection systems and procedures.
- Consolidate, clean, prepare and analyze, and visualize collected data.
- Checking and cleaning the topology of the GIS layers, consolidation, and documentation (metadata) of relevant spatial and attribute datasets in line with recognizable standards.
- Provide cartographic services to RCO and DoDMA and Humanitarian Clusters/Partners including map production and development of map templates, reference maps, base maps, and thematic maps.
- Conduct spatial analysis/remote sensing to create new layers for Malawi such as sub-districts, roads, water bodies, catchment areas and settlements.
- Management of geodatabase to keep the GIS layers centralized and updated.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of maps, spatial data.
- Manage the digitization and geo-referencing of paper and scanned maps.
- Creating relevant documentation and providing capacity building to the involved personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior IMO.
- University degree (Bachelor’s degree or higher) in Information Science, Geographical Information Systems, Computer Science or other relevant field.
- A High School diploma combined with an extensive relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of a university degree.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE :
- Minimum five (5) years of work experience in the field of Information Management is essential;
- Experience in data query, processing, analysis and visualization;
- Working experience in the use of GIS software (Esri’s ArcGIS, QGIS.)
- Excellent command of Office suite applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Fluency in English is a requirement.
DESIRED SKILLS :
- Relevant experience in working with a UN agency or another humanitarian agency is desirable;
- Experience in the area of emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, humanitarian/development environment, field coordination is an asset;
- Excellent inter-personal and general communication skills;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in a multi-cultural environment.
Tools and Programmes :
- GIS systems and supporting software ESRI ArcMap10.2 +
- Knowledge in common query languages.
- Knowledge in PHP and HTML is an asset.
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.