The Finance Manager will be responsible for providing financial and operational support to Opportunity International Malawi and our Africa Regional Office, ensuring smooth, efficient, and ethical operations. This position will maintain the integrity of the accounting records and ensure compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Maintain and record financial transactions in the accounting system ensuring project and account coding accuracy.
- Manage and perform general accounting functions such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, petty cash, accruals, and fixed assets management.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget and the development of budgets for grant proposals and applications.
- Prepare bank and other balance sheet reconciliations on a timely basis and resolve any outstanding items.
- Review employee expenses and liquidation reports for completeness and accuracy and initiate needed disbursements.
- Track revenue and expenses related to private, corporate, and government grants/projects and prepare project reports and budget variance analysis.
- Ensure appropriate documentation is provided for all transactions and maintain proper record retention.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements that are accurate and timely.
- Monitor and analyze financial activity and prepare cash forecast projections.
- Work with external auditors to issue annual audited financial statements including drafting financial statements and providing all requested documentation.
- Administer all policies and procedures for procurement and expense management for effective internal controls and make recommendations for policy improvements and updates.
- Serve as the local accounting resource by providing financial guidance and training to the staff in accordance with Opportunity’s policies and procedures.
- Work with the Regional Accounting Manager to ensure that all tax obligations are filed and paid on a timely basis.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders such as our internal Africa Regional Office and program teams as well as regulatory agencies, auditors, and donors.
- Maintain and purchase office supplies, including routine trips to local vendors and markets.
- Address issues raised by regional and US management and escalate persistent work condition issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, or related specialty.
- 5 – 8+ years of accounting experience.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Excel and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple assignments, set priorities and work well under pressure of meeting deadlines.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong organizational skills & attention to detail.
- Strong communication ability and commitment to teamwork.
- Proven financial statement reporting ability.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with vendors, donors, and partners.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Opportunity International Malawi and the Global Opportunity organization.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English.
- 10% Local travel as necessary to communicate with vendors or partners.
ABOUT OPPORTUNITY INTERNATIONAL?
Opportunity International is a global non-profit that has been empowering people to work their way out of poverty for over 50 years. Last year, Opportunity provided 18.7 million families with innovative financial resources, training, and support to grow their small businesses and send their children to school. Opportunity and its partners released $2 billion in capital across 30 countries and helped fund 8,400 schools that reached 2 million children.
Learn more about our company by visiting our website: https://opportunity.org/
To apply for this job please visit opportunityinternational.applytojob.com .