Country Director Malawi
Contract Type: Fixed Term (24 months)
Hours: Full Time
Salary: £35,760 per annum
Closing Date: 31st January 2022
Islamic Relief Worldwide is an independent humanitarian and development organisation, serving humanity for over 36 years. With an active presence in over 40 countries across the globe, we strive to make the world a better and fairer place for those effected by poverty, conflicts and natural disasters.
Islamic Relief Worldwide is currently recruiting for the position of ‘Country Director Malawi’ on a 24 month fixed-term contract to join its dynamic International Programmes Division. The Country Director would be responsible:
- To represent Islamic Relief at all levels within the region
- To strengthen IR’s relations with the wider humanitarian and development community to consolidate and develop the visibility and image of the organisation
- To deliver effective programmes according to the Country Strategy, Country Business Plan and Regional Strategies
- To facilitate professional and systematic communication and cooperation between the different parts of the IR family to ensure maximum impact of the organisation’s work
- To lead, manage and develop staff in order to ensure that the country office is capable of fully achieving its agreed targets
The successful candidate must have or be:
- Work experience working as a Country Director, or a senior management role with an International NGO.
- Proven track record of working with INGOs in developing countries in rehabilitation; development or emergency contexts.
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective budgetary control and grant management
- Knowledge and experience of fundraising from and dealing with EC, ECHO, UN and DFID
- Experience of and commitment to participatory management and maintaining a supportive, open environment to ensure the learning and development of all staff.
- Experience of managing and mentoring local and international staff.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to others views and perspectives, and conflict resolution.
- Proven experience in overseeing programmes; understanding of quantitative and qualitative data in support of programme development.
- An in depth understanding of international development issues
- Gender approaches in relief and recovery.
- Community Development, Social Protection, Food Security, Urban Poverty, etc.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and working knowledge of French
If you are talented, reliable, service minded, resilient and a highly motivated professional looking for a meaningful career, with a strong commitment to IRW’s mission and values of sincerity, excellence, compassion, social justice and custodianship , please apply by completing our online application form.
PLEASE NOTE: Interviews are expected to take place on Mid February 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Pre-employment Checks :
Any employment with Islamic Relief will be subject to the following checks:
- screening clearance
- receipt of satisfactory references
- This post is classed as Social Media Profile Level One (Senior Ambassador) under IRW’s Personal Social Media Policy. The postholder must disclose their social media accounts and must represent IRW in an acceptable way online, in accordance with the policy
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
IRW is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom IRW engages. IRW expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records checks. IRW also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme
In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment.
By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Applicants should be sympathetic to the values of Islamic Relief:
(Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice and Custodianship)
Islamic Relief is an equal opportunities employer