Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Salary: Competitive, localised
Contract: 12 months (with possible extension subject to funding and performance)
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours per week)
Reporting to: Programme Manager
About the Education Partnerships Group (EPG):
Incubated within UK education charity, Ark, the Education Partnerships Group (EPG) is an international not-for-profit consultancy that partners with governments to shape and strengthen their education systems. Our vision is that governments in low and middle-income countries are equipped to ensure that every child goes to school and learns. We believe that supporting government to design and implement contextually relevant and evidence-based public policy is the best way to drive sustainable progress towards achieving quality education for all.
We assist governments across three critical stages of the policy process:
- Generating and using research to inform policy
- Supporting the design and development of policy
- Supporting the piloting and scaling of policy reform initiatives
Today, EPG works in five countries in Sub-Saharan Africa: South Africa, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Cote d’Ivoire, and Zambia.
In our work, we prioritise a genuine understanding of context rather than assuming ideas can simply be transplanted from one country to another. We also focus on the system – the roles, responsibilities, and relationships of all the different actors – rather than working on one policy area in isolation.
COVID has demonstrated more than ever the importance of effective education systems capable of coordinating and targeting limited resources through evidence-based approaches for impactful education service delivery. With growing demand for our services, EPG is currently focused on seizing those opportunities to expand our footprint in current programme countries and new geographies.
About the role:
EPG is looking for exceptionally organised, highly motivated, and capable Associates, or possibly Senior Associates, with excellent communication and strategic thinking skills to support the planning, execution, and monitoring of our projects in partnership with governments across sub-Saharan Africa. Associates support strategic engagement with Ministry officials and other stakeholders and play an important role in supporting the design and delivery of technical assistance to Ministries of Education.
These roles may be based within the relevant Ministry of Education or in an office with EPG’s other programme staff. In some instances, these roles may be home-based, depending on location. The role may require significant remote working and thus personal initiative and time management will be critical.
The right candidates will be passionate about the role education plays in transforming lives and see this role as an opportunity to support the expansion of EPG’s system-wide approach to supporting governments to plan for and implement reform to improve learning outcomes globally. They will find EPG an exciting and entrepreneurial environment and see this role as an opportunity to have a positive impact on improving children’s learning in low- and middle-income countries.
- Provide project management and delivery support the Programme Manager(s) and EPG’s global team to cultivate and maintain trusted relationships with senior Ministry officials – this may include developing and/or updating project work planning, monitoring and budgeting tools, and helping to coordinate and undertake policy research and analysis
- Support the Programme Manager(s) and EPG’s global team to design and deliver policy-related technical assistance by scheduling internal and external meetings, attending meetings where required and taking detailed meeting minutes for external circulation, drafting internal briefing notes and decision frameworks, and undertaking desk-based research
- Support the programmes and business development teams to cultivate and maintain trusted relationships with potential funders, partners and other stakeholders, including conducting desk-based research and analysis of EPG funding and partnership landscape
- Regularly follow up with internal and external stakeholders as required to ensure the project is on track, coordinate the development of new concept development and proposals, and ensure the team are on-time and on-budget, often working within tight timeframes
- Work in close partnership with the Programme Manager and the wider EPG global team to ensure efficient and high-quality delivery of all technical assistance projects and the exchange of insights and learning across projects;
- Participate in regular project and programme team meetings; regularly review and update the project workplans and monitoring frameworks, supporting financial management of project delivery to ensure that projects stay on track and on budget;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences (Law, Public Administration, Education, Economics or a related field);
- Approximately 2 years of relevant professional experience (policy and public administration, project management, monitoring and evaluation, or research)
- Exceptional organisational skills with excellent attention to detail;
- Experience with the professional use of the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong written and oral communications and presentation skills in English;
- Strong interpersonal skills with a sense of humility and willingness to work with diverse team members, often remotely;
- Experience in social science or education-related research and evaluation design and an ability to analyse and interpret data;
- Commitment to EPG’s core values
- Responsive | we start from a place of “yes”
- Accountable | we accept ownership and healthy conflict
- Rigorous | we create and meet high expectations
- Inclusive | we seek diversity of perspectives and experiences
- Respectful | we are quick to listen and empathize
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit in a single document a cover letter (maximum 1 page) and CV (maximum 3 pages) to [email protected]
The deadline for applications is Friday 19th August 2022, although we will review applications and interview candidates on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted on next steps.