Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Project Officer will play an important role in implementing the interventions of the Development Fund of Norway-supported Scaling Up Climate Adapted Agriculture Project in Malawi and Mozambique Programme. He /she will facilitate an increased climate resilience and well-being of rural communities in target Agriculture Extension Planning Areas through improving food security and nutrition for rural households; increasing economic empowerment for rural households, especially women, youth and marginalized groups; improving government services and legal frameworks in line with rural communities’ needs, rights and priorities; and facilitating increased influence and recognition of rural women and marginalized groups within their households, grassroots organizations and communities.
The Project Officer will ensure that the project participants and stakeholders involved with the project are using recommended implementation approaches and methodologies. This position will coordinate participatory planning, implementation, and monitoring of project interventions in close collaboration and coordination with partners and stakeholders.
Essential Character Traits:
Accountable, results-oriented, good communication skills, proactive, flexible, team player, and respectful.
Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or Natural Resources Management or any related field. The candidate should also have at least one to three years of work experience. Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or part of these basic requirements.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Project Effectiveness (50%)
- Promote Climate Adapted Agriculture to increase food security, nutrition, and income for smallholder farmers.
- Facilitate implementation of climate change adaptation interventions including but not limited to tree planting/regeneration, energy-efficient technologies, small-scale irrigation, livestock production, and agroforestry.
- Strengthen local organizations and institutions with a special focus on women and youth
- Market access through linkages and income generation through agribusinesses development, entrepreneurship, and financial literacy
- Support communities in policy advocacy that strengthens sustainable food systems, food security and environmental management
- Ensure the actualization of the donor and Heifer models and approaches in the project.
- Support provided to smallholder farmers on Climate Adapted Agriculture to increase food security, nutrition, and income.
- Support provided to rural communities to develop and implement Climate Adapted Village plans to manage and restore land and water resources.
- Women, youth, and marginalized groups identify income-generating opportunities and develop businesses.
- Inclusive rural communities and grassroots organizations are promoted.
- Communities and grassroots organizations advocate for good government services and legal frameworks.
B.Project planning, monitoring, and reporting (30%)
- Supervise project participants, partner organizations, and local authorities in the implementation of field project activities.
- Collaborate with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) team to ensure integrated results-based project management
- Execution of m plans and report on progress.
- Assist MEL team in collecting project data for the project progress tracking, reporting, project database, and case study development
- Ensure systematic documentation of successes and lessons learned for internal programmatic use and external sharing
- Track project implementation risks and inform the Project Manager to design mitigation measures
- Project activities are delivered on time and within budget and scope.
- Good quality monthly, quarterly, semester and annual reports developed and submitted.
- Project implementation effectiveness and efficiency achieved, and sustainability assured
- Regular project performance monitoring visits conducted among project participants
- Risks and issues are timely identified and reported for corrective action.
C.Coordination and Stakeholder’s management (15%)
- Represent the organization and the project at the district and community levels.
- Identify partners in the field and nurture relationships with local authorities
- Organize periodic meetings with district-level stakeholders on project status.
- Participate in all routine planned partner and stakeholder meetings and events.
- Relationships with project partners at the district level are regularly nurtured.
D. May perform other job-related duties as assign/requested (5% )
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Strong project implementation skills including planning, management of project budgets, and reporting.
- Basic knowledge of issues associated with poverty, hunger, and the environment
- Basic knowledge of agriculture extension and community development in principles and practices
- Experience working with women and men smallholder farmers
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven track record in generating innovative solutions in work situations: utilizing different and novel ways to deal with work problems and address opportunities
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Strong report writing skills
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Excellent organization skills including strong attention to detail
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail, and internet (Microsoft preferred)
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively and use a motorcycle.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully, and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity, and commitment to a high standard of accountability
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, cooperation and gender equity.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs.