Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
To enhance the management of the Behind the Brand (BtB), including Large Scale Land Based Investments (LSLBIs) and private sector engagement work and provide strategic and operational inputs for project cycle management (design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects). The Coordinator will be a key member of the program team and will work closely with other program team members in other areas of interest for Just Economies thematic area under the overall leadership of the Livelihoods Resilience Program Manager and the Just Economies Program and Policy Manager.
What we are looking for a Incumbent;
- Required to make sound judgements regularly in Just Economies thematic area with specific focus on the programming and implementation of the Behind the Brand (BtB) priorities including support on Large Scale Land Based Investments (LSLBIs) and other private sector engagement work.
- Communication largely with internal staff and also with external contacts to support the Behind the Brand and private sector engagement operations.
- Support engagement with relevant multi-national companies operating in Malawi
- Technical sound judgment in the implementation of the Behind the Brand and private sector engagement initiatives.
- Analysis and internal communication of local context to inform and contribute to the programme planning and design.
- Contributing to the Just Economies thematic areas’ planning, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- The Private Sector Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for the planning and implementation of the Behind the Brand, including support on Large Scale Land Based Investments (LSLBIs) and private sector engagement work with partners.
- Support private sector and NGO partners in programme/project development through technical advice on participatory community engagement, district level consultation and project design.
- Coordinate with internal advisors and staff for required input into supporting partners’ programme development.
- Relationship and team building with the different private sector, government and non-government partners.
- Responsible for effective use and control of project resources such as vehicles.
- Ensure that women’s rights are at the centre of our Just economies work
- Facilitate setting up of systems and procedures for better management of partner organisations, especially for monitoring and reporting
- Closely work with the grant receiving partners to mutually agree on detailed operational plans, budgets, indicators for measuring achievements as well as monitoring, evaluation and learning framework in line with Oxfam Southern Africa Cluster Strategic Framework, programme framework and plans.
- Identify any emerging opportunities for wider partnerships in the Just Economies thematic area.
- Undertake regular and mutually agreed review visits to partners and provide guidance on enhancing the quality of programmes.
- Work with internal staff and external staff to identify capacity building and training needs of partners and take initiatives to get them addressed.
- Be proactive in linking organisational development advisors to partners and vice versa in supporting partners programme implementation.
- Bring up major concerns about partners’ operations to the notice of the Livelihoods Resilience Programme Manager for remedial action
- Draw up and implement partner capacity enhancement plans in a consultative manner.
Resource Management :
- Manage Oxfam in Malawi’s various resources under custody of the Private Sector Engagement Coordinator.
Reporting and Work Programming:
- Make regular monitoring visits to partner organisations and project implementation sites to review progress of work and provide strategic inputs and in particular to help to ensure that programme obligations for annual and monthly planning and reporting are properly met.
- Provide regular updates to the Livelihoods Resilience Programme Manager on projects / programmes and the internal and external environment affecting the projects / programmes
- Contribute to land governance programming in Malawi.
- Work with Gender Advisor to develop the use of gender analysis training using relevant methodologies, problem solving, non-directive, rights sensitive and practical responses to improve the impact of Oxfam’s work with the marginalised groups, especially women.
Programme Quality and Learning:
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning team to ensure that the MEAL Framework is effectively adopted by the partners.
- Ensure participation of partners in programme review and learning exercises led by Oxfam or jointly undertaken by several partners.
- Lead in documenting good models on inclusive and responsible large-scale land-based investment for use in influencing policy and practice in Malawi and for sharing with the global BtB work
- Share experiences on Large Scale Land Based Investment work with other countries in Southern Africa Region and develop options for how to scale LSLBI work in the region.
Representation Network and Alliance Building:
- Represent the Just Economies team at various external fora as directed by the Livelihoods Resilience Programme Manager, including in global platforms and periodic meetings on Behind the Brand work.
- Actively participate in programme meetings as a member of the programme team.
- Build and foster national alliances and networks that enhance sharing, learning and collaboration among relevant organisations and individuals;
- Adopt a proactive approach to undertaking relevant lobbying, campaigning and advocacy work to increase other peoples’ understanding of programme issues and to influence their approach and decisions in support of Oxfam’s work.
Funding and Donor Management:
- Ensure compliance with back donor requirements especially, timely submission of quality descriptive and financial reports;
- Participate in relevant fund raising activities, monitoring funding opportunities and support response to these opportunities with approved concept notes/proposals;
- Assist in the development of sector related donor proposals, budget submissions and other necessary activities to secure funding for Just Economies programme objectives;
- Facilitate compliance with donor grant requirements, provide input into donor reports and support the management of donor visits as appropriate;
- Assist in drafting high quality reports according to donor contract agreements.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- A primary degree in Rural Development, Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agri-business, Land management, Social Development and Sustainable Livelihoods, Social Sciences, economics or other relevant fields.
- Be knowledgeable of Large Scale Land Based Investments and private sector engagement work in Malawi
- Be knowledgeable of status of policy frameworks around livelihoods resilience, Large Scale Land Based Investments and climate change in Malawi
- Experience in engaging with private sector players
- Knowledge of programme development and delivery approaches, tools, methodologies and best practices;
- Previous experience in handling donor funded project especially with large grants
- Understanding and appreciation of the impact of HIV & AIDS on the rural communities in Malawi as well as the importance of gender mainstreaming in all programming.
- Experience of and thorough understanding of a “Rights Based Approach”;
- Proven knowledge of and experience with donor funding environment and good financial and project management skills;
- Experience in development and management of a monitoring system of similar program focus
- Excellent listening, communication and writing skills. Fluent in English and Chichewa.
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through;
- A high level of self-awareness, initiative, sound judgement, personal energy and flexibility;
- Ability and willingness to travel and to work extra hours as necessary;
This role will give you an opportunity to make a difference in supporting private sector and NGO partners in programme project development through technical advice on participatory community engagement, district level consultation and project design, to act as key contributor to the Southern Africa Cluster Just Economies Team, to work with a group of passionate people, opportunities in training and development, offers fair pay and competitive benefits package. The offer is based on national terms and conditions of service.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme . In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 21 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
In response to Covid-19 if you are offered a role where you are required to travel between countries please ensure you have been briefed by the Hiring Manager about any changes to working or precautions you should take as part of your role.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.oxfam.org.uk .