NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Chief of Party in Malawi. The COP should have significant leadership, technical, management, and international development operations experience; a demonstrated track record in successfully managing government and private-sector relations; a commitment to capacity-building; and experience successfully implementing donor-funded contracts.
The Chief of Party (COP) will provide overall technical vision and leadership, overseeing the design and implementation of the anticipated Program. The COP will manage project staff, consortium partners and/or sub-partners to oversee project deliverables are of high quality, on-time and within budget. He/She will be responsible for program compliance ensuring all program activities are in accordance with the donor’s and NCBA CLUSA’s rules and regulations.
Essential Areas of Responsibility:
· Provide overall technical vision, leadership, and oversee the design and implementation of project activities.
· Lead internal and external project planning and reporting, including annual work planning with sub recipients
· Work closely with NCBA CLUSA Headquarters to ensure high-quality periodic reporting.
· Serve as the primary representative of the project to the Donor, relevant government entities, partners, and other implementers and stakeholders.
· Ensure project harmony amongst project staff, consortium partners and/or sub-partners,
· Manage, supervise and build capacity of all field staff, long?term staff, short?term staff, consortium partners, and/or sub?partners, as proposed.
· Develop and manage a team that includes members of diverse backgrounds in order to successfully co-create and implement a sustainable integrated design.
· Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, social inclusion and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
Finance and Compliance Management
· Ensure the effective use and coordination of Donor resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with the Donor’s standards.
· Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending projections, and monitoring of payments.
· Work closely with NCBA CLUSA’s security team and country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain security systems that promote the security and safety of all team members.
Successful Candidates will have the following Qualifications:
· A Master’s degree or equivalent in business administration, agricultural economics, agronomy, or other related field.
· 10+ years of experience in managing large projects, preferably in the areas of resilience, land use management and climate change, agribusiness, sustainable market systems,
· Chief of Party contract experience required.
· 5+ years of experience working in Malawi, preferably in agriculture.
· Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with government counterparts in the cooperating country, donors, and other key stakeholders and partners.
· Ability to successfully recruit, train, build capacity, motivate and manage staff, consortium partners, and/or sub-partners.
· Ability to negotiate and manage agreements and all required programmatic and financial reporting requirements.
· Demonstrated understanding of USAID/DFID/UN contract rules and regulations.
· Proven ability to produce results in challenging contexts and the capacity to effectively deal with and resolve conflict.
· Excellent communication (both oral and written), analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills.
· Fluency in English is required; fluency in Chichewa is preferred.