COOPI is looking for a Country Manager in Malawi
COOPI is a leading humanitarian NGO that has been working in Malawi since 1999, focusing on resilience building and DRR in the most vulnerable and flood/drought prone districts of the country. COOPI is currently implementing activities to support Disaster Risk Reduction and Early Warning activities in Nsanje and Chikwawa districts funded by ECHO, UNICEF and VITOL Foundation .
Purpose of the role
The Country Manager (CM) is responsible for the implementation and development of the country programme in line with COOPI’s organisational and country strategy, policies and procedures; the CM is also responsible for the management and capacity building of the staff. This role provides leadership and strategic direction to COOPI’s operations in Malawi; secures donor funding by driving end-to-end donor engagement and leading the development of project proposals for funding; represents the organisation to the government, donors, partners and other appropriate bodies – including clusters, UN agencies and the media.
- Manages relations with the main institutional donors and with potential ones;
- Represents COOPI in the country/area by engaging in relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations and partners;
- Is responsible of the organization’s reputation in the country.
- Deepens and expands relationships with UN agencies, bilateral donors, local and international NGO partners, government, foundations ;
- Coordinates the elaboration, writing and documents’ preparation for presenting new projects , referring to the Regional Coordinator and the HQ supporting offices;
- Identifies funding opportunities for COOPI’s development and humanitarian work. Actively supports fundraising and cost recovery , including fundraising from institutional donors. Raises funds from in-country sources.
Strategy and planning
- Verifies and proposes to the Regional Coordinator the intervention priorities to consolidate the organization’s opportunity to be more involved in the country;
- Contributes to the definition of the Country Strategy and proposes the country planning (projects and coordination).
- Coordinates and directly monitors projects , guaranteeing the correct implementation in conformity with the contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with COOPI’s procedures and management standards;
- Is responsible for the preparation of projects reports and all the monitoring documents requested by the central headquarters;
- Ensure the transmission of all official and administrative project documents to the central headquarters.
Country office management
- Is responsible for all different aspects related to the country office management (economic and financial situation, local regulations, office organization charts, logistics, local and expatriate personnel management) in conformity with the organization’s guidelines;
- Guarantees the respect of the country’s legislation and administrative regulation.
- Is responsible for the local staff management and safety;
- Participates and supports in the selection of the expatriate staff;
- Coordinate and monitor the country’s expatriate staff management.
Economic and financial management
- Is responsible for the country’s economic result ;
- Supervise the financial management and ensures – through the administrative function – that all financial reporting deadlines and donor/COOPI’s procedures are respected;
- Cooperates with the Communication and Fundraising office for all communication, awareness and fundraising activities implemented in and for the country.
- Educational background in international development and cooperation;
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in managerial roles ;
- Excellent command of the English language spoken and written;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Proven experience in strategic planning and project cycle management ;
- Proven skills in advocacy with a track-record of building and managing effective partnerships and strategic alliances;
- Experience and a track record of identifying fundraising opportunities, successfully securing grants from donor organisations and of building productive relationships with donors.
- Academic and Professional background in Disaster Risk Management, Resilience, Natural Resource Management or Food Security.
- Strong sense of community building within the office as well as with partners and ability to provide feedback tactfully.
- Able to work with minimum supervision in a dynamic working environment.
- Maintains enthusiasm and sense of humor in frustrating situations.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to keep track of complex work plans and deadlines for several projects simultaneously.
- Strong planning ability needed to conduct activities with high level of detail several months in advance.
- Remains flexible and willing to provide assistance to staff as needed.
- Ability to follow up and check in with staff regularly before assigned tasks are due and, if needed, to enforce deadlines.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received. Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations .