Opportunity International was founded in 1971 and exists to bring about a measure of justice, dignity and purpose for families living in poverty. We do this by supporting local micro-finance organizations that provide innovative financial solutions to empower people, create small businesses and build vibrant communities. This year, we are celebrating 50 years of Opportunity.
We serve 12 million hardworking entrepreneurs in 28 countries around the world and have big plans for the world: a world without poverty where people can live with dignity and purpose. Our clients have ambitious dreams for their futures, but lack the opportunities needed to make those dreams a reality.
OPPORTUNITY INTERNATIONAL MALAWI (OIM)
Opportunity International Malawi provides community outreach, awareness, and technical training in various areas such as financial literacy, staff/leadership development.
OIM also partners with financial institutions to deliver financial services to mainly rural underserved communities to help end the cycle of poverty through Agricultural Finance, Education Finance, and various innovative programs.
The Finance Officer, as part of the Opportunity International Malawi team, will provide financial, administrative, and payroll support to Opportunity International Malawi, ensuring smooth, efficient, and ethical operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintain and record transactions in the cheque register ensuring accuracy in coding of Sub restrictions and accounting codes.
- Effectively administer all policies and procedures for procurement and expenses
- Enter and code financial transactions appropriately
- Issue invoices to customers and follows up on their payments.
- Process payments to suppliers and other stakeholders
- Work with the Regional Accounting Manager to ensure that all OIM Taxation obligations are made on a timely basis.
- Ensuring proper documentation supporting payments is available.
- Managing and recording petty cash expenses
- Prepare bank reconciliations on a timely basis and resolve any outstanding items.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets.
- Responsible for bank withdrawals and deposits.
- Track expenses as they relate to specific projects and jobs.
- Responsible for the purchase of office supplies.
- Maintaining a Fixed Asset Register.
- Check all financial transactions for accuracy.
- Supporting completion of External audit by providing all requested documentation.
- Effectively administer all policies and procedures for procurement and expenses.
- Review employee expenses and make reimbursements
- Managing key stakeholder relationships such as MRA, Auditors, and donors
- Degree in finance, accounting or related specialty.
- 2 or more years of similar accounting experience.
- Ability to work well under pressure of meeting deadlines and to set priorities
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Excel and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong organizational skills & attention to detail.
- Strong communications ability and commitment to teamwork.
- Proven reporting ability.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with vendors, clients and partners.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Opportunity International Malawi.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English.
- Country Director, Opportunity International Malawi
- Programs Manager, Opportunity International Malawi
- Human Resources Generalist
- Regional Accounting Manager, Africa Regional Office
- Accounting Director, Opportunity International US
Local travel as necessary to communicate with vendors or clients.
3 year fixed term contract
To apply for this job please visit opportunity.org .